https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Springing

So it finally stopped raining (for one day :-/) and the farm began showing signs of life.  You wouldn't have known we had sheep here for the last three weeks.  The horses stayed front and center, but the sheep had holed up in the barn and barn lot and only I knew they were still around.


First late winter/early spring nap.


Hank taking a lap.  This picture was taken only hours after the first shot.  The change in grass color is partly due to the fact that the sun was starting to come out and reflecting differently, as opposed to still cloudy with the first picture, but also, you really could see the grass starting to turn green throughout the day.  


And the sheep left the barn.


With Hank by their side.


Baaxter thought Woody was a little too close to Blossom's side and wedged them apart.


So he could have Blossom all to himself.  Short spring romance :-).


"Baaxter, you're silly.  She's not interested in you :-)."


Even the old guys came out.  I'm so proud of how well they came through the winter.  Those two old guys are tough!


It's been awhile since I could take golden evening pictures.  My favorite time of day.


Graham and Maisie.  The last pictures in full fleece.


And that's a lot of fleece!

Shearing went well.  I took a ton of pictures and some videos.  I'm way behind on the Iknitarod as I'm sure you can guess, but I'm going to keep plugging on in hope.  I can't say I'm "knitting on with confidence", but I refuse to give up.  It's the Maisie way!


16 comments:

Shirley said...

It's greening up here too- yay!!!!
It's a good thing they didn't go out in the rain- those fleeces would weigh a ton.

Alice said...

I really like the "golden" capture with the sun peeking through the boards, and the gate framing of side profiles in the last photo. Lovely.

Lisa W said...

Wow - unbelievable how fast that landscape changed. Do you have the famous bluegrass? That's something I've always wanted to see but am there too late every year.

Sarah said...

I'm so happy your posts arrive in my morning mail. It's a wonderful way to begin my day. I love seeing photos of your beautiful Kentucky property. I'm trying to learn to recognize each one of your sheep by name. '-) They are all adorable!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Blossom looks well fed! Good to see the full fleece photos. Your green grass looks wonderful:)

Deb W said...

Bluegrass is a variety of grass, but if you think it's really blue...........I don't want you to be disappointed. There are those who say it has a blue cast to it, but I've lived here a long time, and it's just green. Green grass, of the bluegrass variety. Full of vitamins and good stuff, and plenty of minerals from the limestone bedrock, good for the livestock, but...........just green.

KatieB said...

Hey there! Congrats on the "above the fold" front page photo in the Hearld Leader this AM! Star of
small screen and now print, too!

Susan said...

IN PRINT??? Going to send us a link? OK, could probably look it up :) WOW, tons of fleece, 'romance', and GREEN grass!
Just super. Where will you send your fleeces this year?

Deb W said...

Oh my goodness!!!! Congratulations!!!!! I need to go out and buy a paper right away! These are wonderful photos of the 'before' (fluffy) sheep. I hope for all our sakes it stays warmer for them now that they are 'after' (nekkid) sheep.

Alice said...

I found the article in the Business section on the internet! Congratulations on this new pursuit! Wishing all of you the best for putting your thinking caps on. I really like the one you are wearing, Sara. ;-)

Lisa Smith said...

What an interesting project! It sounds like it will be beneficial for many people:
http://www.kentucky.com/2015/03/14/3747525/ky-farmers-working-toward-creating.html
(I don't know if I did this correctly, or if you'll have to cut and paste the above link to view it . . .)

It is good to see Ford and Jester out and about! I hope the warmer weather will give Ford some relief from his arthritis.` Such lovely pictures to enjoy today, thank you so very much!


thecrazysheeplady said...

That's it :-). We had a good LONG day shearing over there. That ewe on the second page sure looks like she could be one of Blossom's sisters/cousins. Blossom, Keebs and Lila came from that farm so I sort of feel like those are "my" sheep too :-).

Busy trying to catch up a little with the Iknitarod. I'm so far behind, but I refuse to give up. Sorry I'm not doing well answering questions or emails. Hang in there with me, please.

sophy0075 said...

Such sweet photos. I love the first signs of spring. Let the seasonal weather remain here, and suitably cold weather benefit the Iditarod racers - both canine and human! I hope your shearing goes well, and so does your Ikniterod project (mine is dead in the water, and I look forward to a healthier 2016).

Terry and Linda said...

The golden evenings are my favorite also!

Linda ★★
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

Susan said...

HA, finally found the article, thank you Lisa!!

Lisa W said...

Someone once told me that there is a very short period of time - like one day - where it has tiny blue flowers which makes it look blue. I liked that story :-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin