https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Do Sheep Smile?



My original plan when I took this picture the other day was to use it to "throw Maisie under the bus" for sleeping while I was working so hard on her sweater...and other things ;-).  She was completely cashed out with her head down on her front feet and her little piggy tail all curled up next to her.  By the time I got back out with the camera she was awake.

I took several pictures of her from several different angles through the end gate and as I was scrolling through the thumbnails (tiny versions of each picture) a few minutes ago, 3267 looked like her mouth was straight and 3268 looked like it was curled up in a smile.  Now I can't see it.  I'm probably losing my mind.  

Still, I do think my sheep look like they are smiling much of the time.  In fact, I think a few of them seem to know that I'm taking pictures and like really mugging it up for the camera.  Follow the labels for Petunia or Ford and see if you can find one shot that doesn't look like they are smiling :-).

Maisie may very well be smiling in these pictures.  It was a warm sunny day, perfect for a late winter nap.  And what was she looking at while smiling?  Her best friend, Hank :-).


16 comments:

Spinners End Farm said...

I think they do! :). A few of ours are smiley sheep too.

Jane B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane B. said...

Of course they do -- just like my kitten Piper smiles at me. They smile with us when we are happy and they smile at us when we need to be cheered up. They smile when we tell them how beautiful they are or how much we love them because they feel the same about us!! And it is a smile that is given willingly and without thought of something in return. And that makes it one of the best smiles of all.

I need orange said...

They do, and she is. :-)

Thinking about Burrnie the other day. He was smiling, too.......

I think it's so bizarre that science, for such a long time, denied that anyone other than homo sapiens could have emotions. All you have to do is watch their faces, and you know they do........ We may not know what their thoughts are, but (if we pay attention...) we can surely tell what they are feeling. Much of the time, at least.

There was a big iguana in my daughter's 5th grade classroom. One time I was tasked with spritzing that iguana with warm water. She smiled, and closed her eyes, and leaned into that water..... There was no doubt in my mind as to how she felt, right then. I hadn't known that reptiles could display emotion until that day.....

Pam said...

What a stupid question. Geez.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I love this :-).

thecrazysheeplady said...

Yes :-).

thecrazysheeplady said...

:-D

Michelle said...

So sweet and happy.

Mrs Shoes said...

We've never had sheep, but she looks like she's grinning to me.
I've always had a thing for muzzles; Mr Shoes accuses me of having a fetish - I wouldn't go so far as to agree, but I have always loved velvety muzzles. It started with cattle - we had beef cattle, an auntie had dairy cattle - they all had lovely squishy muzzles. And CALVES muzzles, oh! Baby faces of almost any kind, are almost irresistible to me.
We always had horses & of course their faces... satiny, so sensitive, the nostrils & lips are so expressive.
Hmmm, maybe I have crossed the weird line... so be it. :-)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Of course she is smiling! She looks like she is enjoying the sunshine! AND Hank:)

Sarah said...

I agree, of course she was smiling. Who wouldn't after a nice nap in the sunshine? ;-)

T.L. Merrybard said...

She totally is! I know dogs and horses better than sheep and I would say both definitely do, so why not sheep as well? For an animal who is capable of recognising so many faces and for whom herd life is so important, surely they also take note of and respond to expressions, which will give good clues to how their fellow herd-mates are feeling.

Stacey said...

Oh absolutely! I think all animals smile and have emotions. My cats used to smile, and our sheep now do. Especially Rosebud and Snowball. Doodle is too busy being difficult! I'm sure Maisie is smiling, too! :-)

Susan said...

What a question........that's like, Do bears, um, you know, in the woods? Is the Pope Catholic............haha I could go on.
Sweet Maisie, yeah I know.........

Lisa Smith said...

I absolutely believe that sheep smile! And dogs, cats, and many other animals. I have seen such beautiful expressions on my dog and cats over the years. Bless their hearts, their presence graces our lives with such joy!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin