https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Fiber Festival Guest Post By Hershey


"Yeah, well, it was kind of a long weekend.  We had to go and be in some sort of hugging booth.  Mom said there'd be some cookies, but we got hosed on that because they figured out Baaxter was going to be too rowdy.  I could have told them that before it ever got started.

It poured rain all day on Saturday and about every hour the tent roof would overflow and it was like someone poured a bucket of water on our heads.  Our wool got so wet that wherever we touched the red gates, we got red stripes. Luckily a nice guy came by and fixed it so that would stop happening, but we were all pretty wet by that point and just wanted to go home.

Luckily the next day was nice and sunny.  It was kind of hot, but not too bad in the shade. Baaxter said he was done hugging people if they weren't going to give him cookies.  Murphy and Spud eventually joined him in the hugging boycott, so for the rest of the day, I got all the hugs. That was fine by me.

Mom's booth looked nice and she sold a bunch of wool, tshirts and coffee mugs.  I know she was happy about that because she's made some sort of goal about paying for all of our expenses this year, not just our feed bills.  She said none of us can get sick this year, but I don't know how she expects that when she takes us out in a monsoon.  Good thing we are all tough!

20 didn't get to come out on Saturday, but he was there on Sunday. He helped with the drop spindle instruction.  Auntie Reg was there both days and our friend Miss B was there on Saturday and then Grandma and Grandpa helped tear down the booth Sunday afternoon.  It takes a lot of help to do these shows and I know Mom is really appreciative.

Liddy did a great job all weekend.  We'd all heard the story of how rotten Maisie was two years ago when she had to "work".  Baaxter said he was good last year, but I overheard Reg telling some people that he was pretty naughty, jumping out of the pen and knocking chairs over and such.  I tend to believe Reg on that count.  

I know everyone was really excited about winning some ribbons at the wool show.  I didn't get to enter my fleece because someone had already come down to pick it up earlier in the spring.  I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen next year because I think I can give Murphy a run for his money.

The really exciting win was our friend Karen's win at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival earlier in the month.  She had taken Beanie Baby's fleece last year and spun it into yarn, designed a shawl to showcase all his different colors and won first place in the Spinner's Yarn Basket.  This year she took the finished shawl, you remember the one, from the Hug A Sheep party, and won first place, best in show, most innovative design and best hand spun.  Dad made a nice poster to tell people about that.







The new Lamb Camp cards.





I think Mom was a little worried about hanging up Maisie's sweater.  Something about how the tent might fall down or something.  I can totally see that happening.  That is one crazy sheep.


I don't think people were convinced.



Nobody bought Chocula's huge fleece so I think Mom is talking to Sheepmom about dyeing it.  I'll believe that when I see it.








We all really love Auntie Reg.


Especially Baaxter.


And Liddy :-).



By the end I was pretty tired, but I still loved visiting with all the nice people, especially this young lady.  It was actually a pretty fun weekend, now that I look back on it."

I couldn't have said it better myself, Hershey :-).


14 comments:

Deb W said...

Wonderful post! Photos - lambies - big sheep - booth - Auntie Reg - ALL volunteers - wool wins - Maryland win..... all wonderful!!! I'm sorry I missed it this year, but my old rattletrap car finally bit the dust (permanently), so I didn't have a ride out there. Perhaps I'll try again in the Fall for some sheep hugs at Hug a Sheep Day at the farm!

Jenny Glen said...

Aww! The booth looked great! I had planned to see it in person but never got away from the trial! I had to walk 24 dogs by my self since Scott got in the double lift

RMK said...

Nice to get the festival vibe from the real workers!

Unknown said...

I loved hearing about the festival right from the sheep's mouth. And it was Hershey, so I know I can believe everything he says. And wonderful news of the ribbons, I know first hand that your fleeces are fantastic every year but they are really over the top this year.

Susan said...

Oh Sara, you ROCK!! OK, so do the sheep and the fleeces and that shawl is quite amazing!! Good on ya Hershey for giving us all the news fit to print. mom made a bundle.......far out! Thank you Auntie Reg for helping out.

Lori Skoog said...

Your booth and sheep look terrific!

Sheepmom said...

Good to know that you can tap Hershey anytime for a guest blog post when you are too busy! He did a great job and really described the activities all weekend (with that special insider scoop on Maisie and Baaxter) so well that it was the next best thing to being there. Your booth looked awesone! Time for everyone to take a well deserved rest.

sophy0075 said...

Congratulations on your wins! Your booth photos look lovely (so do those fleeces). Maybe next year my life won't be such a busy mess and I can come to KY and hug me some sheep!

MarmePurl said...

Hersh...you have top notch journalistic instincts. I look forward to following your career as a reporter.

Lisa Smith said...

Wonderful post and photos! Thank you for making the weekend come alive for those of us who couldn't be there.

LannieK said...

Good hearing from you Hershey! Thanks for sharing the Festival with us - What a team effort! Looks like you had fun. I am sure it's a lot of work, hugs n' all.
Sara, congratulations on a successful show and on those Beautiful Ribbons! Awesome! A reflection of all your hard work!!! Hope you can relax for a few! Once again, Kbdoolin - congrats on that amazing sheep to shawl project!!

LannieK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzan said...

The color of the wool that won the red ribbon is a rich brown color!!!
Absolutely beautiful!! Soooo wish that i could knit or crochet!!

Arlette Seib said...

Those fleeces look gorgeous. Good idea to show a sample of Wooliam's washed wool in with the raw fibre.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin