https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Friday, July 9, 2010

Gray, Rainy Day

And I was thrilled!



Aw, Keebs, you know we needed the rain.

Yeah, but why did you make us go out and stand in it? You know we hate the rain.



Yeah! You are the worst shepherd ever!

I made them stand out in the soaking rain because they were all so dirty and itchy. You can see by how white Buddy's legs are, just from walking through wet grass, how badly they needed a bath. Believe it or not, with all the lanolin in their coats, just water will clean them right up.



I'll do whatever you want me to do...for a ba-ba.

B. Willard's having a tough time giving up that bottle. And he's just too darn cute. And keeps working me hard. I've never had so much trouble weaning a lamb. Maybe this weekend.



Look how clean and white. That's Miss Ewenice napping in the center. She's having a blast being the center of attention for the Tour.



So, speaking of the tour, my medium gray spun up just a hair too thin. Surely this couldn't have been my fault for not paying attention and sampling like I knew I should ;-/. To fix this, I weighed out about 2 1/2 ounces of Heidi's almost perfectly matching medium gray roving, spun a third fine single and triple plied them all together.



I've not triple plied anything before and really liked the end result. I can totally see doing that on purpose in the future. You'll note that I did make a sample card to keep handy for the start of the white tomorrow.

Once again I seem to be mainly here to set an example for others. Sigh.

15 comments:

Michelle said...

Hurray for a break in your weather and sheep baths! We are getting a cooling breeze this evening after a miserably hot, still day. I hope this means we get to say good-bye to the 90s for awhile. Our thermometer said 100 today....

LunabudKnits said...

The rain is a much needed break from the oppressive heat we have had lately;) LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your first two pictures. Absolutely AWESOME!!!

Shirley said...

87 degrees here today, I don't think we need it any hotter! Bet that rain felt good, even if Keebler voiced his disapproval.

Jody said...

Our heat frying wave is over now and we are enjoying sun and cooler temps. It was very hard on the poor sheepjes!
Beautiful yarn...wish I could see it in person.

Deb W said...

Triple plying! What a great idea! I naturally spin very thin, can't be bothered to adjust, but end up more often than not needing to knit with two strands. But.. that would mean using a lazy kate instead of my oh-so-easy plying from both ends of a center-pull ball. I see you have a nice lazy kate in the hazy background of your picture. Brand please? (I can't use tension with the one I have, and need to)

Michelle said...

A three-ply yarn is delightful, in that it is round. Deb, you can put one of your singles on a lazy kate (doesn't have to be tensioned) and use your center-pull ball for the other two singles.

flowerweaver said...

Keebs, still the cutest face around! He's even looking buff, but keeping that cuteness!

Alice said...

What a novel way to clean the sheep! Once the rain stopped did they quit complainin'? I will bet some treats would make you their favorite shepherd again;-) the tri-plied yarn looks every bit as luscious as the two-ply. I admire you consistency in the spun product. That should be some sweater when it's done,but it's too hot to think about it right now.

thecrazysheeplady said...

It's a Jensen, but I'm thinking you could rig up some sort of tensioning on whatever kate you have - with a basic spring and string like you'd use to tension your wheel. It really does help.

Rachel said...

Lovey spinning! I'm getting motivated to card up some more fiber so I can spin for a while too.

Amber said...

It looks great!

CTG Ponies said...

We got some much needed rain too. I love the wool, it's beautiful. Reminds me I need to start crocheting again....

Anonymous said...

love the pictures. and three ply is such a nice yarn. plump and round. my favorite to knit with, but of course, takes more time to spin-

Anonymous said...

Poor B. Willard...I love his huge ears :)

Glad to hear that you are getting some rain and enjoying it, even though the sheep think you are evil!

DayPhoto said...

YEAH! Cooler weather and wet also. I love three-ply and you did a great job with it.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin