https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Friday, August 26, 2011

Color!

By this time of the summer I tend to only see brown. Brown grass, brown leaves, brown flowers... There are actually some pretty shades of brown, but also still spots of green and all the fall wildflowers are starting to bloom.



So many people spun beautifully dyed fibers during the Tour de Fleece. I tend to fall into the "my sheep have plenty of natural colors all on their own" camp, but still...



A couple friends have pushed me into mix :-).



This is what I think I'm going to start first. Beautiful colors but still plain roving/top. I understand most of that language. These are from Petunia's new favorite aunt. She also sent me a little bit of Petunia too, but I'm not going to let myself touch it (oh that beautiful natural color ;-) until I've learned some about "other" colors.



These beautiful batts came from Woodenspinner. Now I've got color and texture.



There are three batts - the first is full of all sorts of fun stuff and each one gets progressively more blended. Any suggestions on the how to spin this?

I hope you too have a colorful weekend :-).

10 comments:

Deb W said...

I want to know how they get the colored noils in there. I've even read that you can BUY them, to sprinkle in while you card the batt. Yeah, my pendulum has swung toward color again too. I bought some more silk to blend or ply with my fiber. I'll post photos soon.

Sheepmom said...

All lovely stuff! Someone on a spinning list I read just posted that turquoise and cinnamon together make a gorgeous yarn, and there those colors are on top of your pile. Have fun, and remember, you can always ply with a natural color, or strand with a NC yarn when knitting to tone it down if the yarn is just. too. bright. for you.

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Love those colors. I think spinning is in order for this weekend. It's calming...and will be good to do with the storm coming!

Alice said...

What dramatic colors! I would play with pieces of each and see how the wool speaks to it’s own unique creation.
I enjoy colors because of the mood they inspire when I am spinning, but it’s always a treat to go back to the natural wool when I want to just quiet myself and appreciate life undecorated.
Enjoy the adventure!

farmlady said...

Yes, it is a season of late summer brown and so lovely. I like natural fleece and yarn too, but Oh, that lavender is beautiful.
I like Sheepmom's idea of adding natural fibers to tone the brightness down. I do this when I'm hand carding and felting.

Lori Skoog said...

I love the colors Sara. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Claire MW said...

Love those colours! I am like you, in reverse. I have a bunch of natural roving sitting around that I never spin, and I'm always into the colourful stuff. I sort of look at the natural, think how lovely it is, touch it, and then put it away and grab green or blue. I think those batts would be lovely as a corespun yarn, to really show the coloured noils, but that's just me.

Also, I agree that you should do the 7 blogs meme! I actually popped over here when I was deciding who to tag, and thought that it would be way too hard for you to pick from all the Renny posts! I also wasn't sure if you'd want to participate. I'd love to see your answers though!

Linda said...

I love a little color.........I mostly use natural greys, browns and blacks for saddle blankets but the last mauvey bat would make a wonderful sweater!

Ed said...

Very nice and colorful..:-)

flowerweaver said...

Fall? It was 109 here this afternoon. I need to figure out something I can do with just one hand/arm. Knitting is definitely out. Love those colors! What would happen if you blended them with some of your natural wool colors? Would it come out tweedy?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin