https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Friday, March 4, 2011

Farm Friends Friday - A Little On The Top

This is Woolliam. You can tell it's Woolliam by the spots on his feet and his extra long dreadlocks.



Woolliam knows he has cool hair.



And this is how he keeps it that way. The shearers leave a top knot on all the Cotswolds. Rebecca Boone has cool hair too. We do this just for fun. I think I learned that was a traditional Cotswold 'do - maybe for showing - when we got our first Cotswold, Buddy.



When Saint Tim got home from the big city Wednesday night, he asked "Which sheep was the last to get sheared?" Seems like an odd question, but not really.

We love all our sheep dearly, but we know that Petunia's going to be bad (only to shear), Peabody is an Idiot (yes, with a capitol I) and Keebler (as he's Not A Sheep) is going to demand special treatment...which means he's usually last.

I also learned on my three day shearing binge that the last sheep is always called Hope. As in "looking for hope", "hope that's the last one", "hope you can get up in the morning and do it all over again"...

Keebler's Hoping we'll quit yakkin' about how silly he is in time to remind Don to leave his top knot.



D'oh!

It's okay, baby. The only difference between a bad hair cut and a good hair cut is three days. At least that's what I tell Saint Tim when I butcher cut his hair. He says things like "The girls at Supercuts don't laugh like that when they cut my hair."



Don kindly sharpened all my blades (that I'm hoping I'll not have to use for a long time ;-) before he left. Here's yet another interesting tip I learned from them. Store your clipper blades in flour. Flour draws the moisture off them and keeps them from rusting.

They are coming back to town to demonstrate shearing for the Kentucky Sheep and Fiber Festival in May (after a cool sounding shearing gig out in Wyoming). Offering blade sharpening as well might be a good idea too!

For more Farm Friends Friday...

15 comments:

DayPhoto said...

Love these stories of the "days of your sheep lives"!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Alice said...

Keebler would look adorable even if he didn't have a top knot. He knows he's a step apart from those "other sheep".

Buttons Thoughts said...

This was a cool post thanks for sharing. I loved the information and step by step. B

farmer said...

Glad I found your blog through FFF.
I love the pictures of your Cotswold,I too raise them!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

That is a very big sheep!
:)

Nancy K. said...

Oh, my LORD! Those sheep are HUGE!!!

Peacecat said...

Sara, have you every considered publishing a book? You could do a beautiful coffee-table style book with your beautiful photos, include some humorous and poignant essays, and throw in some knitting patterns and spinning recipes...

I'd love to have a book to show off!

Leontien said...

My hubby shaved hunderds of sheep in Australia and he loved it! I haven't tried it yet, but i would love too!

Thanks for sharing and i'm glad i found you true VerdeFarms!

Leontien

Teresa said...

So glad I don't have to shear--that looks like such hard work. I do like their topknots!

Lynn said...

Now that looks like work! I can empathize with the hair cuts, I always say "my hair is proof that God has a sense of humor":@)

Phyllis said...

Would love to see Rebecca?

Anonymous said...

I just read Graham's big news. Congratulations Uncle Graham!

Ed said...

Too cool, Wolliam looks fab..:-)
and Renny from the last post is just too cute for words..:-)

Ann W. said...

Woolliam looks like he's made out of corduroy! (Second picture)

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy my visits here! I love the dreadlocks and I am glad you leave them on :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin