If you are looking for something fun to take to a sheep-y party, try a traditional Welsh Shearing Cake. While apparently not as commonly made over there these days, we embraced this historical cake several years ago and it's now a staple on shearing day here and at nearby Tring Farm.
This hearty cake is designed so you can grab a piece while you are working and eat it on the go...or with a quick cup of tea during a break. The recipe is a fairly basic cake with the addition of some candied citrus and caraway seeds.
I've tried two slightly different recipes and this is the recipe we like the best. It's even better if our friend Ed makes it :-).
I hope you enjoyed the Bluegrass Yarn and Fiber Crawl, whether from near or far. I had fun picking my favorite tips and really enjoyed blogging every day. I wish I knew I could keep it up...and I'll try. Ah, the good old days.
Let's try to keep all these old traditions alive!







4 comments:
Looks yummy! I made a pie peach to be specific and it taste well despite my attempts to be creative.The vanilla ice cream added just what was needed . I will most certainly try the shearing cake.
My sweet father in law was Welsh and was quite proud to be!
Maybe, this winter, I can catch up on my blog!
Let's sit a spell. A slice of cake and a spot of tea. BLISS
Very interesting about the traditions of the cake:)
Post a Comment