https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Saturday, October 12, 2019

Got The Rhinebeck Blues?


Next weekend is one of the country's best loved festivals, the New York State Sheep and Wool Festival, more commonly known as "Rhinebeck".  I've been several times and it's always an amazingly good time.  Here's a fun link with a good short video.  Go watch!

This year a bunch of my long distance friends are going.  Robin and Julie will be there with the Nistock Farms booth (Building 22D) and a group from the Meridian Jacobs Farm Club are flying in from California.  

I really toyed with making the trip to meet up with everyone.  What fun that would be!  Leaving the farm though is very hard for me.  Even though we have great farm sitters, I worry about everyone, especially with so many oldies now.  Add in the 14 hour drive and how homesick I get...and I've decided to stay home.

That's not to say I'm not really sad about it though.  Rhinebeck is one giant party for sheep and wool people.  Everyone wears their best hand knits, there are sheep galore throughout the barns, the shopping can't be beat, you can learn so much in the workshops, the book signings, competitions and demonstrations are top notch...and there are cider donuts and artichoke french ;-).

If Auntie Reg didn't have such a loser friend who doesn't like to leave home, she'd be on her way to New York next week.  Everyone should go to Rhinebeck at least once.  Instead, we decided it could almost be as fun to have a stay at home Rhinebeck party here on the farm.

  • We have shopping in the Wool House.  There is some roving left from last weekend, plenty of gift items, hopefully the 2020 calendars will be finished!  
  • I can teach some informal workshops - maybe a beginning spinning class? Shepherding? Fleece washing?  Sheep to Sweater discussion?  I'm open to suggestions!
  • I've got lots of fiber related books I could set out for the "author area".
  • Everyone can wear (or cast on ;-) their Rhinebeck Sweaters and I will take the portrait pictures.  
  • Instead of a competition area, we can just show off our favorite yarns, shawls, sweaters, hats...
  • Reg will bring in cider donuts from that terrible (in a good way ;-) donut shop in Winchester.
  • And if we get really ambitious we Reg might even try to make the famous Artichoke French dish.
  • The best part?  No pan flute music ;-D.  If you've been to Rhinebeck, you know why that's funny.  I actually kind of like it...but maybe not all day ;-).

So if you've got the Rhinebeck Blues, come out to the farm next Saturday the 19th from 10:00 - 4:00.  If possible, please RSVP via email so we make sure we have enough donuts, goodie bags...  Also, let me know what sort of workshop you'd like.  Or just bring a current project and sit on the porch and [sheep] watch.

*     *     *     *     *

NOT to confuse things, the 9th Annual National Hug A Sheep Day Farm Party is still on the schedule for the following weekend, the 26th.  Yes, that will be two farm parties in two weeks :-o.

Hey, any excuse for donuts ;-).


12 comments:

Cheryl West said...

Sounds like a grand event and I wish I was close enough to attend.
I don't know if it's just may age but I am very happy to stay home with my family and the cats.

Claire MW said...

Well now I have the Rhinebeck blues AND the Punkin's Patch blues, since I'm too far away to go to either event. Sigh. It sounds like it will be a wonderful time!

sophy0075 said...

Oh how I’d love to come visit! (You know what’s coming next) But- my geriatric doglette is truly in hospice mode (she’s lost 20% of her body weight) and I hate leaving her for work, let alone a long drive and an overnight stay. My $ is going for vet bills and our darling daughter’s spring wedding. And the store manager where I work has me booked for both Saturdays.

Sigh. Maybe next year. Frankly, it sounds like more fun than Rhinebeck!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Now I really have the blues as it sounds like so much fun! :)

Michelle said...

Enjoy a donut each weekend for me!!!

Grey Horse Matters said...

It all sounds like fun. My farm is about 20 minutes from Rhinebeck so I might check it out if I’m able to get away that weekend! Your party sounds like a lot of fun too.

knitski said...

if I could fly down I would be there at your place!

Bekah said...

Sounds like two lovely weekends at your farm! I hope you have a great time :)
Now if only I didn't live 3000 miles away, I would be there in a heartbeat.

Terry and Linda said...

OH! HOW MUCH FUN!!! Someday, somehow I hope I get to come to your farm and meet the sheeps and everyone!

Lady Fi said...

Sounds like a fun event!

KatieB said...

Rats! Will be chasing the grandlings around Chattanooga......save me a donut! And have a grand time!

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you home is where the heart is!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin