https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The [Sheep] Days Of Summer

The Dog Days of Summer - dictionary.com

1. The sultry part of the summer, supposed to occur during the period that Sirius, the Dog Star, rises at the same time as the sun: now often reckoned from July 3 to August 11. 

2. A period marked by lethargy, inactivity, or indolence.

The Sheep Days of Summer (or Fall or Winter or Spring) - Equinox Farm

1.  Every day.

It has been super hot and humid this summer.  Every day.  More days in the 90s than not. I hate summer.  At least we've had decent rain up to this point, but I think we are headed for a hot, dry spell  :-(.  I really hate that.  I've been trying to keep everything rolling, but I'm about to embrace my inner sheep and just hibernate until fall.


Daniel


Annabelly always looks sleepy.  Heidi is just scratching her face on the mineral box.  The Jacobs can handle the heat better than the others.


Nobody naps like Baba (Blossom).  


Miss Allie, Elizabeth's daughter.


Rebecca Boone


Liddy and Maisie, both using the ole gate pillow.


Petunia, using the ole straw pillow.


And waking up with bed head ;-).


16 comments:

Susan said...

Had to look up Jacob's origin (Middle east and obscure!) wondering why they tolerated heat better. Not that I wish to be from the middle east but it sure would be nice to tolerate heat better. NH genes don't cut it. Lay down with the lambs I guess......at least in front of a fan :)

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I hate summer too; so icky to work in and the flies and the dust... ugh!

Shirley said...

I wilt in the heat. My sturdy Irish/English roots thrive better in cool weather. But not cold!!!!

www.bergamascosbabydollbrigade.com said...

You probably knew; but, maybe not...sheep with horns tolerate heat better than polled sheep. When the temperature increases, blood flow through the dermis of the horns also increases. The increase facilitates heat loss through radiation from the horn surface.

My crew barely move during the day right now. They're out grazing before the sun rises and are back in the barn by 8ish and stay there all day until the sun sets, then back out again. The other night I got up at midnight to use the restroom and they were out grazing. I definitely can't blame them. It's been way too hot and humid!

CathieJ said...

I love those pictures and your commentary. Keep cool as best you can.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I'd forgotten about the horns dissipating heat. I always figured it was because they weren't quite so, um, insulated ;-). Ewes not fat, ewes just well insulated ;-D.

Unknown said...

I hear you on hibernating till Fall! Northeast Ohio is on track to have 3 days over 92 degrees this week and that will be 12 days over 90....barf:( My sheep are just like yours, dreading it. We are a definitely Autumn group! PS.....jealous of your "Unit";)

Cheryl West said...

I wish I could send you cooling breezes but CT is headed back to the 90s for the weekend and it is SO dry. Love the photos of your napping sheep.

Kathy said...

Love all the pics, makes me want to lay down and take a nap. BUT, I have a dumb question. I only thought that males of any species had horns. Always learning something new here. I think the whole nation is headed for some un-sheep-able weather, we're heading for 100's for a few days in Michigan.

Terry and Linda said...

Terry is like you and only likes Fall, Winter and Spring. I could do with never having winte, even if Summer is scorching.

Linda

Fiona said...

I used to freeze ice cream bucket of water and float them in the horse water trough during horrible heat....our chickens love frozen tomatoes...would a ice cream bucket ice cube be good for the sheep in this heat? Just the ice in a feed pan?

thecrazysheeplady said...

Nope, Petunia has horns and all the Jacob ewes have horns. Not sure of the scientific answer though.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I'm sure they'd love it. Good idea. I did build a heavy wooden cover (with a place to drink) for the water tank this year to keep it shaded as best I can. This helps with the temp of the water (on a normal summer day) and also fights algae growth. For the next week, some ice buckets would be a nice treat!

LannieK said...

Totally agree on the summer thing. That last picture of Petunia is great! The heat has to be so hard on them. Here it's been hot with evening thunderstorms which means lightning. Not good for life in the forest.

MaryAnn said...

We live near the beach in California. The summer weather is nice but there are no sheep. No place is perfect

sophy0075 said...

Hmm, my ancestors came from the Mideast, but it's a *DRY* heat in the Fertile Crescent. Anyway, that's my excuse. But maybe that's why I think my "if I could only choose one breed's fiber" it would be Jacob. All those spots, and all those horns.

I think Blossom wins the "most relaxed" contest. She can really spread herself out. I mean, she's not plump or anything.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin