https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Friday, July 29, 2016

I Believe We Are Officially On The Map


This is the second year for our purple martin house.  The first year we only had light interest from what I'm assuming were local juveniles, late in the season.  This spring we had a pair that moved in and raised two clutches.  Up until a couple weeks ago, we'd regularly have eight or so martins living here.

When the martins are hanging around, the noise is incredible.  When they decide to pick up and leave, they pick up and leave...and it gets very quiet.  It got very quiet last week.  And then a couple days later the chattering was back and I saw 20 martins sitting on the power lines.  And a day or so later they left.

Next thing I knew, 20 more martins were buzzing around.  And then they left.  And today there were 22 on the wire (and maybe even more in this picture now that I look closely).  I guess we meet approval and have become an official stop on the migration tour.  

I love that :-D.


14 comments:

LannieK said...

Being an official stop is a wonderful thing!
..::See ya next year!!::..
Ps. That is a great photo!

Juliana said...

Love this photo! And, it would make a great puzzle to add to your collection--a not-subtle hint. You also posted a recent shot of Hank maybe laying next to the drive? He has such a noble pose, and we need a new Hank puzzle to play with. Just so that you know why I am asking for more puzzles: I have your puzzle page bookmarked so that I can do a little quick brain exercising with it several times a week. I get so much pleasure from your posts about your sheep and other animals, your knitting, and I get to enjoy vicariously the beautiful greens of your garden and fields and trees. I live in SD, and we are very short on green! Thanks so much for your blog.

Mary Ann said...

I can't believe migration is starting already, but it is here in NE Kansas, too!

Susan said...

Where are they going? It's hot as hell here this week........how about the Yukon?

Mrs Shoes said...

Not gonna lie, I'm a little bit jealous here.

Kathy said...

It's hard to believe that it is that time of year, but I have noticed the gathering here in Michigan as well. I don't like the heat and humidity that everyone has had this summer - still have strong memories of shivering last winter, not ready yet. A nice loooonnnggg fall would make up for this summer.

Cheryl West said...

How nice that you are a highly desirable neighborhood. My chickadees and titmice have returned I am guessing after raising their chicks. I so love seeing them again.

MaryAnn said...

The slow change of seasons with a wonderful flurry of activity. August arrives next week.

Fiona said...

Our new Hummingbird restaurant chain has had to go from three to four feeders...like you, our B& B must meet some bird committee of approval! We will try Purple Martins next year.

sophy0075 said...

You are clearly a five-star entry on TripAdvisor!

Migration already? Does that mean the temperatures will drop down to ---- 95F?

thecrazysheeplady said...

Done! http://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=38dd7a2571d3 I'll work on a Hank one ASAP :-D.

thecrazysheeplady said...

They are a hoot!

Sheepmom said...

"We're gonna need a bigger boat....uh, martin house!"

Lisa W said...

I knew the lovely house would be a popular stop! Yay!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin