https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Monday, November 24, 2014

Working Good In The Neighborhood


"Look what blew out of that tree!"


"I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be here..."


"...or at least looks like it would be fun to play with!"


"I'll get to work removing it."


"Wheeee!"


"Yipee!"



"What?  Time to go to work?"


"I'm on it!"

Meet Kate!  She's a very well trained nine year old Border Collie from Fetch Gate Farm who's been there, done that with sheep.  And sticks ;-).  She was a very successful trial dog who's ready to settle down a little and we are hoping our farm will be just the spot for her.

Other than a little trouble with being a little too, um, "friendly" with the cats, she's been great. She's very sweet, very friendly, hard working, obviously loves to play, gets along with Hank and Weaslie, been patient with our uneducated sheep, likes to ride in the car, good in the house...a perfect fit.

Kate and I spent this past weekend working at The Training Center.  They are getting ready for the Turkey Trot Dog Trial Thanksgiving weekend and we were to keep sheep moving along into the shearing trailer.  In the past I've done that with hands/hips/back/arms/legs...  I was interested to see how a good dog could help.

Since I don't have any experience with a trained working dog, I was concerned that I wouldn't be smart enough to tell her what I needed her to do and also that maybe she wouldn't listen to me even if I was.  You know the whole Will Rogers "If you think you're a person of some influence, try ordering someone else's dog around..."  Not to worry.  With some instruction from Vergil and Annmarie, we were up and running in no time.  

Kate moved sheep from the big pen into the little pen, from the little pen into the chute, stop and wait for the shearer to catch up, move more sheep into the chute, wait, more sheep into the chute, wait, more sheep from the bigger pen...  She did this for two long days and was sad there wasn't a third day. I was so proud of her.

There will definitely never be another Iris, but there is definitely room in our hearts for Kate.  We are all working hard to teach her the only thing she doesn't know (Leave those kitties alone, Miss Kate!) and I think it will all work out.  She's very smart and I bet a couple more scratches on her nose from Comby will make her even smarter ;-).


28 comments:

Suz said...

oh I am so happy for Kate! Now if we can only find the right puppy
I love happy endings

Unknown said...

A great big welcome to Kate. And tell her she'd better leave my surrogate cat, Betsy, alone. Bets doesn't need anyone else to pick on her.

Lisa W said...

Congratulations on the new family member! She is really spunky and so cute. Fiona also loves her big sticks - must be a border collie thing :-)

Pam said...

Welcome, Kate! What a beauty.

Jean said...

A dog and her stick -- what a joyful looking girl! Welcome Kate.

Glad the Packers pulled it off yesterday -- now about next week . . .

MarmePurl said...

You had me at Wheeee and Yipee.
And then the story got better.
Happy for all.

Tyche's Minder said...

Yay!

Gloria said...

Kate looks like she will be a perfect fit. She had best leave our favorite cats alone, however.

Lori Skoog said...

I think you and Kate are going to have a great time working together.

Michaele said...

Wow! You found a real treasure there. And an excellent branch manager too!

Terry said...

Very good news! Welcome Kate!
What a pretty girl.

Heather said...

I love the picture/quote "what? time to go to work?!" That is Kate! :-)

Unknown said...

What a sweetie! And my border collie's name is Kate:-).

Greeting from Europe where I am visiting my family. And their dog, Toby:-).

YarnKettle said...

Welcome Kate!
Remember you're not replacing Iris, you're just allowing joy to outweigh the grief of losing her.
I hope she has just enough of Iris to make you smile but enough of Kate to be her own dog.

I need orange said...

What a cutie! So exuberant and smiley. :-)

Welcome, Kate, indeed.

I love the Will Rogers quote, and also love your statement that a couple more scratches from Comby will help her be even smarter.........

So glad for all of you.

Deb W said...

Reading these comments makes me wish there were "like" buttons here. Everyone has already said it all - welcome Kate!!

Vermont Grand View Farm said...

What a blessing to have an ALREADY trained BC on your farm! Our Kai has much to learn before being able to help us with the sheep.

I have Vergil's book and have read it front to back numerous times. Maybe me and Kai need to make a little trip for some training!

Eleanor P said...

Sweet Kate, bonny Kate, Kiss me Kate! I am so glad things are working out with her so far. I have always liked her!

Shirley said...

There's nothing like a good working dog! Please do lots of posts on Miss Kate!

The Dancing Donkey said...

She sure does look happy. I'm so glad things are working out.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope she has transitioned okay! I am so happy for you...nope no one can replace Iris...but Kate will find her spot...just above the cats! She is a beauty...such a great looking coat! Have fun teaching her the ropes:)

Sheepmom said...

What a happy girl! She's going to be a great fit. Between you and Comby she'll figure out that cats are part of the pack, not small sheep with long tails needing herding. Looking forward to many great Kate photos!

Sandra said...

Beautiful BC!!

LannieK said...

How Wonderful, and Welcome Miss Kate! You've arrived at a most amazing place that you will love - with all that love coming back :-) We know you can handle that! Oh, congrats Sara! A fine addition to the farm :-D Good luck with all!

Michelle said...

What great news for all concerned (even if the sheep don't believe it)! I'm sure Kate feels the loving vibe at Equinox Farm, and knows it's the best place in the world to land!

Susan said...

How lucky can both of you get!!!
I'm thrilled.

Terry and Linda said...

Oh! YAY! Another dog! Miss Tilly and Miss Kate! Perfect!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

small farm girl said...

Love her!!!! She's beautiful!!! Can't wait to meet her!!!! Let me see if I can use more exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin