https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Just What I Needed


The last few weeks have just been an almost out of control blur.  Yesterday was yet another crazy busy day.  I went into Lexington to help a friend with Thanksgiving services at four area hospitals. After playing We Gather Together and Come, Ye Thankful People, Come over and over and over and over, I'm thankful that it's almost time for some Christmas hymns ;-).

In lieu of a "sermon", everyone who wanted to could contribute what they were thankful for.  It was interesting to sit behind my piano and listen.  Of course family was high up on everyone's list. Having work, support from co-workers, friends, health, making it through challenging times, getting up everyone morning, enjoying the sunrises and the sunsets...  I hope the few people who didn't speak up were just too shy. 

I'd managed to dig out a pair of un-muddy shoes, pressed a clean pair of khakis, picked all the hay off my sheep sweater (I've been known to "bring a bit of the manger with me" to church on Sundays ;-). I shook hands, made small talk, pretty much looked like I fit in, but I never really do feel like that when I'm in town. A country mouse in the city.

When I got home I changed back into my barn clothes and muddy boots.  The dogs raced me to the gate and we headed out for a walk in the back field.  It had been a beautiful day...and I'd been cooped up in too many, too hot, too crowded rooms.  I stood up on the hill and took a deep breath. And another.  And thought about all the things I was thankful for.  And realized that, really, we weren't all that different.

Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

*     *     *     *     *

Beautiful sunrises and sunsets
Friends who like to take walks at the end of a busy day
Green grass at the end of  November
A barn full of hay for when that grass is covered in snow
Too much work to do - because that beats not enough to do...or so I'm told ;-)
...

What's on your list?


18 comments:

Shirley said...

Sounds like a pretty good list to me! The one thing I'd add is that I am thankful that I can still throw a leg over my good horse and ride. Oh- and that I have a husband who can fix darn near anything!!!!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Amen to that!

Lori Skoog said...

You are a very special person to go into the city and add joy to the lives of the people who must have loved your piano playing. Coming home to simple pleasures is something to be very thankful for. You are living the good life...so is Saint Tim (and all your critters).

I need orange said...

People who share their sheeps and dogs and sunsets with complete strangers are definitely on my list. :-)

Mary Ann said...

This was a wonderful post... and I hope by this time next year I'm able to say that I played a few simple hymns and other songs... on the piano or on the guitar, because I'm jumping into lessons (again) at the age of 64!

Happy Thanksgiving!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Good for you!!!

We are all living the good life :-).

amyfibre said...

Among many other things, I am grateful for you - your beautiful photos, your crazy cast of characters, your dedication to them, and your willingness to share it all with us. As a city girl, I am most appreciative!

MarmePurl said...

Ditto to what I NEED ORANGE said.

Marcy said...

Yes, ditto to amyfibre. I am so gratefull for all you bloggers that are so willing to let us see into your lives. And I am grateful just to be in my life with the people I love and not have to worry about where I will get the food for our table tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Susan said...

I too am grateful for you, Sara, and for all that I have...family/friends/furry friends and
fiber!! I have a house and food which many do not have :( Off for a walk which I am also thankful I can do!!
Happy Thanksgiving one and all.

sophy0075 said...

Sara, you are not the first person to bring a bit of the manger to the city. By helping out your friend with all of those services, you were following in His footsteps.

Happy and blessed Thanksgivung to you and yours. And tomorrow we can all start to get tired of "Jingle Bells" and worse (I am already tired of the Black Friday spam).

Sheepmom said...

My list is long. So many blessings. Health, people, animals, comfort..... you and your blog ;-)
Have a wonderful day!

Jenny Glen said...

You sound like me at church! I think they think I'm a quaint curiosity and pretend they don't see the dog hair on my skirt or the blue kote on my hands during lambing season. Everyone is loving but they don't really understand. But when I get home and get back into my farm clothes it makes you appreciate your life even more.

Auntie Reg said...

I am grateful to have the freedom to travel to church to hear you play the piano and to the farm.
Thank you for sharing your farm and critters with the everyone.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this post! And I completely understand the wonderful feeling of being home in your surroundings and being able to just enjoy it and take it all in. We do have so much to be thankful for. *hugs* :)

Elnini said...

I am grateful for easy calvings, growing grass, happy chickens, contented sheep, fluffy maremmas, cherry trees in fruit, plenty of work for my husband and a new start in a welcoming new town :-) I am also grateful for cool summers and the cleanest, freshest air anywhere !

small farm girl said...

I'm thankful that you introduced me to sheep and spinning. Not sure what Hubby thinks about it though. lol

Unknown said...

Thankful for your blog:-)!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin