https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Possum


"Apparently my name is Possum.  The first time the people spotted me all they saw was a gray tail disappearing through the barn wall and the lady said "Kitty!" and the man said "No, I think it was a possum."  Then the smart alec neighbor started calling me "Possum", and now I guess that's my name*."

"Anyway, I thought I had it made here in this barn.  It was quiet and no one bothered me, not even the dogs.  And then the lady started feeding me cat food at night and I thought it was just about perfect.  That all changed last night when she trapped me in this cage and then took me someplace called "the vet' this morning and now I don't feel so good and I'm back locked up in this cage."

"I heard her tell someone that she didn't think I'd stick around once she turned me loose in a couple of days and she's probably right!  I haven't decided.  Just in case I split for a better home, the vet snipped the end of one of my ears off so I don't ever have to go through all this again.  I guess that's some sort of code for "been trapped and tortured."


* * * * *

I hope Possum sticks around, but even if she doesn't she's at least been tested, vaccinated and spayed.  She's not at all tame, but she will talk to me when I'm putting out food in the evening...and I kind of like that.  Hopefully the last couple of weeks of positive interactions will counteract the trauma of the "trap and torture".

* Corrected:  Tim actually named her Possum the first day we saw her.  The neighbor was just the first one to call her Possum...after she'd been named so.  The neighbor is still a smart alec though ;-).



16 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, I hope so, too!

I need orange said...

Poor kitty. If she decides to stick around, she won't regret it. :-)

Far Side of Fifty said...

If you want her to stay can you keep her in a room someplace until she calms down. She will you know. We rescued a cat once Snowballs Chance in Hell Snowy for short. He was so afraid of dogs and we had four of them. we lived at the resort and had a screened in fish cleaning house. It was a safe place for him until he adjusted or we could find him a new home. He could hear the dogs and get used to them...the girls and I visited him many times a day...fed him great food and introduced him to all the dogs one by one. Soon he moved to the porch and then finally inside. He was a gem...but he had Feline Leukemia so we were hospice for about two years. He was a once in a lifetime cat...we have had three or four of those special ones.
I sure hope she stays. We have a strange cat here now...but she may actually belong to some people at the lake...they are nortorious for getting a cat for the summer and then just leaving it to fend for itself:(

Shirley said...

Hi Possum! I hope you do stick aroumd! Maybe the nice lady will feed you some nice treats while you are confined/recuperating and you will decide that this is The Place for you .

sophy0075 said...

I hope she stays, but if she has the wanderlust; alas, even the vet can’t take that out of a lady who wants to be wild and free.

Cappy said...

Oh! She's so cute! Reminds me of a pastel calico that I had many years ago - one of the best cats I have ever had...

I hope she sticks around!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Wherever she decides to call home, you've given her a chance at survival. I have a feeling she's going to stick around, she may be young, but I'll bet her instincts will tell her that she's got a good thing going at your farm. Possum was lucky to have found her way to you.

Rhumpelthreadz said...

I'm a colony care giver and I look after (and TNR) a colony of feral cats. Once they are neutered or spayed they don't wander far as long as the food is on offer!!! What an absolute beauty she is.

Katie C. said...

I have two inside cats and this year we “adopted” a feral with a clipped ear that we call Gus kitty. He’s in charge of outside vermin. He’s a very vocal kitty and I think he’s in love with Sophie kitty but not Molly cat. He rolls around on the patio in front of her and rubs up against the slider frame. Maybe we should have named him Romeo.

karen said...

I hope she stays and you are wonderful giving her a good health checkup!!

Terry and Linda said...

I hope she stays. Your home makes a wonderful place for all living things.

Laura L. said...

Possum, I hope you realize how good you have it there and stick around.

Cheryl West said...

I hope she realizes what a good home she has. Usually when you start to feed a kitty they will stay.

We have our Bella who we took in as a stray. She already had a clipped ear so the vet knew she had been spayed. She is a superior kitty who has taken over as the Alpha for the whole household.

Karen said...

My very best friends have been cats that started as ferals. I know you said that your next cat would reveal itself to you...I hope she did.
PS...I’m willing to bet she’s easier to deal with than a hummingbird.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I think Possum will stick around even after being trapped and tortured. My sister has 5 feral cats that she did the same thing too and they all stuck around. Of course, she feeds them twice a day and has beds for them in her backyard shed so they've got it pretty good. We also have a sometime barn cat that comes and goes and we feed it but haven't been able to get close enough for a trap and torture. I think the cat is just much smarter than we are!

Sheepmom said...

Possum has a very sweet face. I bet she'll tame down. Food plus kind words will soften her up. If she's talking back to you then she's already willing to engage. Good job! The hard part is done, Possum! It's all easy sailing from here.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin