https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Wednesday, July 31, 2024

My Local Yarn Shop

Setting up for the Bluegrass Yarn and Fiber Crawl has been a good exercise in Getting Stuff Done, but also a bit of a morale boost.  Things are so different now without setting up at the big fiber festivals.  Those events created a business structure that I apparently really needed.

Lately I sometimes catch myself wondering if maybe it's all over and it's time to retire...but I have a flock of sheep that will stay here until the ends of their lives.  They can keep paying into their pensions...if their shepherdess would just do her part.  

I don't know what the sheep really understand about their lives here.  In my anthropomorphic brain I want to think they know that their wool products and pictures and inspiration keep the hay stack tall and grain bins full.  That that is their job.  I'm betting some of the retirees like Krista and Short Round understand things are different here.

Not doing my part to use that wool and their inspiration to help support them feels almost disrespectful.  Like not standing up for a friend or family member.  

In the 'olden days', when I'd get home from a show each night I'd always report in.  I'd tell them which fleeces sold or who's roving was popular that day and who got asked about or came walking into the booth made into a sweater or shawl.  It was nice to be able to do that last Saturday after our first Fiber Crawl day.  We'd all had fun and done a good job.  No one wore a sweater ;-D

Surely I can pull this back together.  I still have some good ideas...and obviously lots of wool.  Let's wash some wool and pull out the hand cards and combs or roving and spin some pretty yarn and knit hats and mittens and scarves and sweaters from our favorite sheep.  

Let's make felted sheep and wreaths.  Get out the drawing pad and create some new rug patterns and learn how to dye bright colors and make rugs and pillows and wall hangings and tote bags.  And send each other some handwritten note cards.  

This will also be known as quit messing about cleaning the house and mowing grass and working in the gardens and show up more for your more fun job that somehow always gets pushed to the bottom of the list. 

If you'd like to come out to the farm this afternoon/evening, we will be open from 4:00 to 8:00 today*.  Bring your wheel or current project and a box of vanilla wafers for the sheep if you'd like.  We can sit and spin or play with wool or just relax and watch the sheep.  If you'd like to mow grass or clean the house, that's always an option too ;-D.  We'll have wine and cheese starting around 5:00.


It was pretty toasty yesterday and the porch was very pleasant.  It's also covered in case we get rain.  The barn is also a fun dry spot and there's nothing like listening to rain on a barn roof, especially after it's been so dry.  We have plenty of chairs and room to spread out.


We also have plenty of good company on the porch.



Morgandell Reds brought over some beautiful California Red batts.



Beautiful yarn from Tring Farm.


Lamb Camp Legacy yarn, I (heart) Kentucky Wool bags, note cards from here.


Washed wool.


Plenty of roving - in the Wool House and also set up in the barn.


The new Lamb Camp Old Friends yarn.


Look at these fancy wool balls made from Pinto's fleece!  You don't have to have a fancy fleece to pay into your pension.  All wool can have a job and if you are using these balls for dryer balls, I'm pretty sure Pinto will add some extra bounce :-D.


Folk art farm cards


I've pulled out six more skeins of Lamb Camp Bottle Lamb yarn.


Two walls full of fleeces.  

If you are looking for your first start to finish fleece, a specific breed for Shave 'Em to Save 'Em, or a favorite sheep you've followed for years, let me help you pick one out.  You can even meet the sheep who raised the fleece.

Do you have questions about how to wash or process your fleece or what to make?  Just ask.  I love to talk wool :-).  

Honestly, I love to talk sheep and wool and farming and spinning and knitting and weaving and I'm happy to share what I've learned along the way and I love to learn what you have as well.  Come out this evening and grab and glass of wine and some cheese and pull up a chair.  

We are also open for the Crawl this Saturday from 11:00 to 4:00.  Really, we can be open anytime.  Just email me to make an appointment.  Maybe in the future I'll start having an actual open schedule.  Let's get busy!



8 comments:

Autumn said...

I wish I lived closer so I could dash out to visit! Your space is so inviting and cozy <3

thecrazysheeplady said...

We could set up a zoom call sometime! :-D

Michelle said...

What a wonderful "pop-up shop" full of goodies! I'd be tempted to buy things I don't need, like some of those California Red batts, those cute wool balls with pottery heads and other beautiful Flat Creek pieces (love my mugs!), and some cards. Wish I could be there for the fun, fellowship, and cheese, plus some grape juice if you have any that isn't spoiled. 😉 😝

Barbara Anne said...

What an inviting and delightful party and hope lots of local folks see the advertisement.

Wish I lived closer to you and that our younger son wasn't allergic to wool.

Hope you get some good, soaking, gentle rain, too.

Hugs!

Lori Skoog said...

You are running on all cylinders...as usual. Everything you have shown is beautiful! I need some of those shades for my kitchen porch, this humidity and heat has me pooped out.

Anchor Cottage said...

Sara, you are a worker! Good job on display! Wish I could stop by but I live too far away. Have a profitable sale.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Have fun, if I lived next door I would mow for you!

Terry and Linda said...

The perfect Pop-up shop! I would love to come in person and see and touch and feel and laugh with you and pet the sheep. Maybe someday. Maybe

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin