https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Monday, August 28, 2023

Back On The Wagon


"Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately."


"I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it."

Bonus points if you can identify that movie ;-D.

After feeling pretty good about everything we accomplished back in the late winter/early spring (that didn't even make IG except for some clips at the end of the April month end video :-/), I completely fell "off the wagon" this summer and barely got anything done.  

One of my favorite quotes is something to the effect of live your life so that your 8 year old self and your 80 year old self would be proud.  My eight year old self would have killed to have nice (heck, they wouldn't even have had to have been nice ;-) horses in her back yard.  She'd have ridden the hair off them, too.

You can know these things and be aware of these things and know you are disappointing your eight year old self (and your 55 year old self to be honest) and still not be able to do anything about it.  That's the summer I've had. 

(Picks up self, dusts off pants, knocks cobwebs from helmet, remembers another favorite quote "I didn't come this far to only come this far.")

I am planning on returning to the National Drive this fall.  Bea and I had a ton of fun last year, not only doing all the horse activities, but also camping and hanging out with some new friends who coincidentally messaged me on a day I needed some encouragement to make sure we were coming back this year.  

I would never ask Frankie to go to an event like that without adequately preparing him.  I am not great at doing things for myself, but I'm very reliable doing things for others.  If I have to do this for Frankie, not just because it's what I love to do, then at least my 80 year old self will be proud.  She'd understand about being tired, but would also not want me to miss out on the fun...which it is...if you just go out and climb back on the wagon.


7 comments:

janejmtl said...

Sounds like a good plan; I remember how much you enjoyed it last year. And I'm sure your 80-year-old self will be proud. Love the quote "I didn't come this far to only come this far."

Michelle said...

Good for you to take whatever motivation works for you and run with it – or even crawl with it!

Goatldi said...

I got you I was right beside you. I not only dragged through summer when it finally made an appearance .I took off last Fall and this winter Spring also. I kept everyone bedded and fed. But I spent a long time working through the last 14 years in my head. When I wasn't moving snow and redirecting water. I think this Fall will be different with the 9 month old Pyr puppy boys and when Paul and Peter , two two year old Shetland withers.Were those two two redundant? Congrats on a personnel invite to come to the gathering.

Shirley said...

Ah Frankie! Nice to see you again!
Motivation is hard to come by on the hot summer days. But there's a hint of fall in the air already!

Vicki said...

As one of my high-school friends told me, "70 is not 60".

Age is NOT just a number, alas, and, even when one is healthy, hot weather doesn't make it easier to do anything (other than stay in the a/c and drink iced beverages, perhaps with a good novel, or some lovely wool to spin....).

Covid caught up with me (for the first time) this summer, and I had a rebound. I didn't feel all that bad, but it was three weeks of "not enough energy or initiative to do ... anything". I think I'm pretty much better at this point, but sheesh. For all those people saying "it's' just like a cold", I'm here to testify that for some of us, it's a lot more debilitating (and can last a lot longer) than any cold I've ever had. (Noting I've had every shot anyone would give me, and I wear an N95 mask almost always when around strangers. Apparently that should have been "always" rather than "almost always"....)

Good work, taking your motivation where you find it. And also for showing up for your friends. :-) And good on those people who got in touch with you to let you know they hoped you'd be there this year. :-)

ps -- maybe good pumpkin-ma is every other year? Fun last year, maybe also fun next year? I don't think one has to decide now, to try 'em next year?

Delrene said...

Oh yes! Friends are great motivators. I love seeing Frankie!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have not heard of the 8 year old 80 year old thing...my 8 year old would be saying "wheres all the dogs"

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin