https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Thursday, May 6, 2021

An Evening With The Sheep

The Kentucky Sheep and Fiber Festival is happening this year and is "in person".  The Bluegrass Classic Sheep Dog Trial is as well.  Both events will be held following strict guidelines for safety to protect everyone involved. I know many people are very excited about this.  I am too...mostly.  

Saint Tim and I are both vaccinated, as are many people we know.  I'm relieved about that, but I don't consider it a magic shield.  We still wear our masks everywhere we go...and I wish everyone else would as well.  A mask is not a magic shield either, but it's a small symbol of care we can show each other.

I thought about how comfortable I would feel being fully involved in the festival this year and decided to sit out one more year :-/.  I am worried not only about the (probably) small risk of getting sick, but the greater fear of the anxiety of being stuck in a 10x10 plastic tent with someone who didn't understand just how hard it would be to take care of a farm if I even just caught a common cold.

To be honest, I'd probably pick up a donut I dropped on the barn floor and eat it (good grief, who drops a donut?!?), but I walked out of a business the other day because not only were none of the employees wearing masks, but one of them sneezed as she walked in the aisle next to mine.  The thought of handing her my credit card...  I'm obviously not quite ready to leave the farm.

There is so much I'm going to miss about setting up at the festival.  Which sheep would I have taken this year?  Probably Big Moose and Mini Moose.  My Renny sweater is finally finished and would have made a nice 'color and story' display.  I have new (and last year) Lamb Camp yarn to start sharing.  I have a barn full of freshly shorn wool that needs a home and I always look forward to seeing things made with fleeces sold in the past.  

It's weird.  And a bit sad.  But it will all be okay...eventually.  And as I say every night as I shut off the barn lights, "Everybody take care of each other!"...but we also need to take care of ourselves.  The best way I know to do that is to sit out in the barn or field watching the sheep (and now lambs :-)...and that is something I can share.

If you will be in town for the festival or dog trial and are looking for something extra to do or would like to go to the festival, but just can't quite bring yourself to do it yet, but would feel okay social distancing at our farm, we are hosting An Evening with the Sheep that Saturday evening from 5:00 to 8:00.

This will be basically like the traditional Hug a Sheep Day farm parties except that along with gaining pandemic pounds this past year...we also added chickens (2020 was a rough year ;-).  We have a plan to corral them...we think. 

It's just coming out to the farm.  It's not some fancy 'farm to table' experience...well, depending on how the chickens behave (just kidding...mostly ;-).  Bring your own picnic basket, fast food bag or carry out pizza box.  Bring your own beverages (adult is fine).  Might not hurt to bring a chair.  

Bring your spinning wheel, current project, camera, an interest in or questions about sheep or fiber or just yourself.  Bring a mask.  You don't have to wear it the whole time, but if you'd like me to teach you how to skirt a fleece or trim hooves or visit Auntie Reg and 20 in the farm shop, please mask up.

As always, if you have any questions or need directions, please drop me an email.  It's going to be a fun weekend!  Don't forget Sunday's exciting "double lift" at the dog trial.  I'm looking forward to being able to watch it this year and I'll probably make a pass through the fiber festival as well :-).


11 comments:

Michelle said...

Amen to all of this.

amyfibre said...

Just want to say -- I am absolutely where you are. Vaccinated, masked and still wishing I could stay home.

One of these days I'm gonna get to your farm in person. Not this year again. Sadly. Especially since you have real, true LAMBS! But I'll be watching for pictures after the fact and hoping for great weather for y'all.

Vandermolen said...

Good plan. And does 20 have a good looking mask?

thecrazysheeplady said...

Auntie Reg made 20 an awesome sheep mask :-D.

Someday, amyfibre!

Anonymous said...

Oh that all just makes me smile!!! Well, except for the part about people not masking, that makes me cranky. Glad to hear to are vaccinated. My Big Guy is done. I had my first shot.

I think next year you will be able to have your tent set up. But for this year you need to be as safe as possible. Someday - someday - I will be able to come and see your farm.
Chris S in Canada

Far Side of Fifty said...

WE feel the same way...distancing ourselves from the non mask people. WE are perfectly happy at home. Oh boy if I lived close I would be there! Have fun!

Amanda said...

I'm with you - erring on the side of caution. Feel like all this opening up is happening too fast, we're letting the guard down way too early. Masks are still on, restaurant food and groceries are still curb-side pick up, and I still want nothing to do with anything that looks like a crowd.

Cheryl West said...

i think you are very wise to be cautious and safe. Too many people doubt the vaccine and wont use masks. It's incredibly selfish to my way of thinking.

Enjoy your weekend in your own way and I hope you have many respectful visitors to enjoy the beauty of your farm.

Delrene said...

This is our first outing in almost two years. I’m with you 100%. Your evening with the sheep sounds just lovely. For city folks it’s a dream come true. Enjoy. We look forward to our visit Tuesday and I’m going to try to find the covered bridge. My husband will enjoy that part of our trip as he is a retired civil engineer and was a bridge builder. He loves animals, but he loves bridges.
Happy Mother’s Day to all.



Anonymous said...

I totally agree with all of the above. Must say a nurse and I who I haven't seen in 1 1/2 years (almost a neighbor too!) we went mad and went to the Crown and Thistle as it opened at 11 AM. They have Snugs, small booths where you can sit away from everyone, and we had a lovely time but probably won't do it again any time soon. No one wearing masks in this area of Idaho :( Have fun and watch those chickens haha

RMK said...

Hope your day went well at the farm! It will be interesting to see how many people turn out for the fiber festivals in light of the new guidelines. The Waynesburg Sheep & Fiber Fest moved to next weekend on May 22nd as a "streamlined" 1 day event. No dog herding, no sheep breed pavilion tent, no lamb sampling & chef demos, no children's tent, no sheep shearing demos and one group doing a fleece to shawl demo (I think). Oh yeah, and the 2020 t-shirts for sale! :~O

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin