https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Sunday, September 9, 2018

From The Department Of...

In what is looking like the summer that will never end, Gladys is not well and I had to take her to the vet last week.  If you are asking yourself how one takes a chicken to the vet, if your chicken is Gladys, you just put a towel down on the front seat and off you go.


"We're going where?!?"

Here is a short video as we headed down the lane.


Once she got used to the movement, she settled down on the edge of the seat and just rode along like she did it every day, looking around the car, out the window, at me, out the window...

Taking Gladys to the vet seems like it should be an entire story all on it's own, but no, there is a whole 'nuther chapter in "This Could Only Happen To Me."  As we were cruising down the bypass, headed home, I spotted a tiny sheep on the side of the road.  Screeeech!


???


After being abandoned on the side of the road since, I'm guessing, the end of July and then picked up and hung on a road side marker, this poor little sheep can only be thinking "What now?", looking up at a big chicken who's just been to the vet and had her car ride home interrupted.


The reason I'm guessing she's been out there since late July is the county fair ribbon tied around her arm.


Is this not the saddest little sheep you've ever seen?  


Three or four washes later and she has a whole new lease on life :-).


"I'm safe and someone loves me and is going to give me a good home :-)"


So what is this little sheep's story?  How did she end up on the side of the road?  Was it purely an accident?  Maybe a toddler tossed her out the window?  A tired parent set it on the roof and forgot it?  Is someone looking for her?  Or is that third place ribbon a clue?  

She looks like she might have been made by a child as a 4-H project.  Was her maker disappointed by a third place ribbon?  Disappointed enough to throw her away?  There is no way to know for sure, but in the off chance that this is what happened, there are a few things I'd like to say to that child.

Well, I'd like to say something about not being a bad sport and would she have been more valued with a blue ribbon and what that might say about a person...but I'm going to leave that be.   

What I am going to say is:  Hey, you made a stuffed sheep toy.  A sheep toy that looked enough like a sheep that I spotted it out of the corner of my eye at 40 miles an hour.  A sheep toy that someone loves and is enjoying playing with.  You made something of value.  Be proud of that!  


"The crazy chicken lady says I'm not the first little sheep she's found and rescued from the side of the road.  I think she's actually a crazy sheep lady!"

Speaking of chickens, Gladys is doing "okay" and while not out of the woods, she did boss around the crowing hen this evening so I'm taking that as a good sign.  I'll keep you posted.


16 comments:

LannieK said...

Welp, Gladys rides to the vet MUCH better than two cats I know... seriously. Glad she's doing ok. Keep it up Gladys!
That little sheep is cute and 3rd place is great! Wouldn't it be awesome if the story continues...

Grey Horse Matters said...

Hope Gladys is feeling better soon. What a cute sheep. It’s good to know she’s found a good loving home after being abandoned by the side of the road.

ElaineChicago said...

Sara, you are a real Treasure!!

Benita said...

So 3 is going to join 21? Mind you, you just melted my heart with the rescue story. I rescue dolls and Scott rescues teddy bears, so it just makes sense that you would rescue stuffed sheep as well as real ones. You, my dear, have a heart of marshmallow - and gold.

I need orange said...

Hoping Gladys is feeling better and better.

It doesn't surprise me a bit that someone who sees four-leaf clovers would also spot small lonely sheeps. :-)

I wonder if the "left on the top of the car" theory isn't the correct one. I wonder if there is any way to find out who won third prize for a crocheted sheep. I can surely imagine they don't keep all of those entry forms after the fair. I wonder if the 4-H "crochet leader" is identifiable and might be a lead on the maker.......

In any case, how nice for this little gal that someone found her who was eager to wash her, and care for her, and enjoy her. :-)

In my experience (of picking up trash essentially every time I walk for over a year), no one comes back for stuff. I see things like mittens or toys or glasses that I would think someone wants. I leave them there for days, and eventually pick them up. And this is where people are walking, not zooming by at 40 or 50 mph.

Cheryl West said...

Gladys is an amazing chicken. Who knew she could be such a peaceful traveler. Certainly better than my cats! I hope that she is much better very soon and joining the morning porch crew.

You could write a children's book on the rescue of the sweet little sheep. I am so very happy that you stopped to collect it and give it a safe, loving home. A friend for 20 for sure.

sophy0075 said...

I hope Glady is 100% soon! There CANNOT be any more sick animals (or people) at Equinox Farm in 2018.

That is a VERY good sheep. Her maker should be proud - not everyone can crochet (see me raising my hand?) Not everyone has the stick to-itiveness to plan and execute a project. And there are many first place finishers who started out in third place - or no place. And didn’t it take Thomas Edison a thousand tries to make a light bulb that didn’t immediately fizzle out?

Marcy said...

Love his story! Hope Gladys heals as well as the little roadside sheep.

Shirley said...

Well now you just have to name that sheep! I suggest Trinity...
hope Gladys is going to be fine.

JaneJMtl said...

Poor Gladys...but what a trooper, taking the car ride in stride. I hope she recovers. And what an adorable little sheep! I’m not at all surprised that a sheep whisperer like you would not only spot it, but give it a good home. :-)

Lisa W said...

Oh, my. Great story and it will need to be included in the children's book that you will be writing and giving to the world someday. :-)

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope Gladys will be okay. A long time ago our daughter held her favorite stuffed racoon out the car window...she lost her grip and poor Ricky ended up in the ditch and her Father said it was a life lesson to hang onto the things you love and not hang them out the window. He did not go back for it and she cried and cried. SO maybe it was well loved but accidently made it's way out of the child's grasp.:)

Glenda said...

I simply love living vicariously through your daily blog. I've always yearned for the farm life - but I'm far too lazy to have to work that hard. Keep sharing your delightful life with me and so many others. Wishing Gladys a complete recovery; she's quite the gal.

Terry and Linda said...

Gosh, I hope Glayds is okay...Having a sick friend is not good ever.

As for the little-abandonded sheep...You are just the perfect person to find and help it get well. Now it will have a perfect sheep life!

Shiralynkay said...

I think that somewhere there is a little,one missing that darling sheep. Glad you rescued it.

Sheepmom said...

Poor Gladys! But she doesn't look at all stressed by the ride so here's hoping her recovery will be quick.

The little sheep is adorable! SO needed to be rescued. Whatever the back story is, she's landed in a forever home. Now 20 has to show her the ropes. Maybe she can teach him to crochet since he already knits.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin