https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Friday, September 2, 2022

Telling The Bees


Once upon a time a good beekeeper saw that the bees in one of her hives were getting ready to swarm.  She watched them gathering outside their hive and, with no way to stop them, watched them fly away.  They swirled up into the sky and landed in a nearby tree, 40 feet in the air.  

She was pretty good at gathering swarms, but that was far too high.  "I can't take care of you up there," I heard her tell them.  "You need to come back down."

An hour or so later she called to tell me the bees were going back in.  (?!?)  I got back up the hill just in time to watch the last bees crawl back into their old hive.

The next day they re-swarmed into a different nearby tree, about six feet off the ground.  We easily gathered them into a cardboard box and installed them in a new hive. She stayed to make sure every bee found their way into their new home.

Tomorrow I will go up the hill to tell the bees.

Stella Martin

August 16, 1923 - September 1, 2022



17 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Sara, that ending was a sucker punch. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Tears falling.

Karen Juliano said...

Sorry for your loss. I learned about telling the bees from Lark Rise Candleford.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sara, I have often thought about Stella. What an interesting woman whose life stories I would have loved to have heard. Those of her generation had so much treasure of wisdom to share. Those were lives truly lived. I will think of you "telling the bees." What a lovely tribute to her. K. Littrell

Far Side of Fifty said...

Of course the bees must be told. Thinking of you draping some black yarn there. My sympathy to all who loved Stella. 99 years a life well lived:)

Anonymous said...

Oh Sara. I knew as soon as I saw the title and Stella’s picture. I am crying for the loss of someone so special. But by golly she packed a lot of living into her time on this earth. My condolences to her family and friends. And the bees.
Chris S in Canada

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful tribute to Stella. I even learned something new in the "telling of the bees." You and her family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Terry and Linda said...

Yes, Tell the bees, they will be sad, but grateful for having such a marvelous human as their friend. My heart goes out to you.

bobbieliz said...


Sara, I am sorry to hear of the death of your friend Stella. I so enjoyed the stories you related about Stella and you and the bees. I am happy that I was able to meet her last year at your farm one lovely summer evening. I didn't know until now that she and I shared the same birthday. She was very special.

Shirley said...

May her soul rest in eternal peace.
I'm sure Stella was a blessing to all who knew her, not just the bees.
Stella is Latin for star; pick a star in the night sky that you see often and name it for her.

ineedorange said...

I love that you brought them flowers.

Thank you for sharing her with us.

LannieK said...

What an amazing lady...
Thank you for sharing Stella & her bees. Thoughts & prayers 🙏🐝💐

Anonymous said...

My goodness. Shedding tears for a woman I never met but admire all the same. Our mother is 93 and I feel this loss for you in my bones. Cindy L

Windswept Farm said...

Oh my. I an so sorry for your loss. What a special friendship you both had.

Linda said...

I have no words Sara. 'I'm sorry' doesn't begin to cover it. I never met her but through you I know she was a beautiful person. You have my most sincere condolences.

T.L. Merrybard said...

Hail Stella and travel well! You showed us how to be in and with nature. Thank you.

Renee said...

My heartfelt condolences Sarah. I so enjoyed your relationship with Stella told through your warm stories. She was a treasure.

FullyFleeced said...

thank you so much for sharing this. a beautiful tribute.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin