https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Friday, May 6, 2022

It's All Been Fun...

...but washing the yarn is the best part :-).

I've spent the last month (or so) working on the new Lamb Camp yarn release.  Remember the bottle lamb fleeces I sent to Stonehedge Fiber Mill?  Here's a video link.  

I've got the yarn "finished" (skeined, washed and ready for tagging).  I wrote a short book telling a little about the yarn and all the sheep who made it.  I also created a picture of each sheep as a lamb to go with each story.  There was a huge learning curve there, but I'm happy with the end results.

At that point I realized that the project was much more than just throwing together a pamphlet with some yarn and more of a celebration of all the sheep and each of their special stories, so I designed a small project bag, some Equinox Farm inspired stitch markers, a project tag and a wooden ornament to all go with it.

Whew!  I've got way more time in this project than I should, but I always end up putting more time into each lamb than I anticipate as well, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.  


The first batch. 


The yarn isn't "finished" until it's washed and dried.  The main reason you need to wash it is to get rid of the spinning oil and any residual dirt, but washing it also wakes up each fiber and allows it to relax back into it's original character.  Some fibers bloom into fuzzy yarns, some get really stretchy, some get puffy, some relax with more drape and flow...  This yarn, being a blend of several types of sheep does a little bit of all of that.


One skein before washing, on the right.  One skein after, on the left.  Isn't that fun?


The yarn is really pretty.  I've made a lamb sweater from it and also a matching short poncho for myself.  The lamb sweater was pretty straightforward, but I have some epic stories about the poncho that need to be shared here so I can add more details than what hit Instagram at the time.  Miss B made a gorgeous sweater from the yarn and I would love to share that as well.  My poor neglected blog.


So, yes, there will be some of this yarn for sale and my plan is to post it on Sunday for Mother's Day, mostly for sentimental reasons.  Of course I don't have any pictures taken and it's crazy/normal springtime on the farm and Frankie and I have our first horse show tomorrow... so it may be the afternoon before I can actually pull that off.  

Wouldn't it be nice if I got all that done and posted a horse show update tomorrow evening like the good old blogging days?  I'm going to try.


9 comments:

Shirley said...

Oh please do!
I hope you have a great horse show.
The yarn post washing looks so warm and cuddly!

Linda said...

The yarn looks so soft! Beautiful!

Michelle said...

What a big, satisfying project! If I didn't have SABLE yarn/fiber stash, I'd get some! Have a great horse show; I'll try not to be jealous as my horse activities have been severely curtailed so far this year.

Anonymous said...

I am definitely in for some yarn. I was in when I saw the pre and post wash skeins on Instagram! Where will they get posted so I can put my order in?

Chris S in Canada

Henny Penny said...

How do you do it all! The yarn is beautiful. Can't believe how much more beautiful it is after washing.

Angie said...

Beautiful yarn.🐑 You put a lot of work into it. Thank you for all you do.🌻 ♡♡Angie from Western NC♡♡

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have been busy! It all looks good!

karen said...

look at all that scrumptious yarn!!! What a beautiful sight to behold!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lady what a project! But worth it for anyone who buys, they will cherish it forever!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin